Translate

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Buttercup's Delightful Dictionary!


In my opinion one of humankind’s greatest achievements is the creation of dictionaries. Samuel Johnson in particular is worthy of great praise here (and he was fantastic in Blackadder, of course). To illustrate his magnificent achievement, what is the first word that comes into your head now? Ok, try to define it. See, not easy, is it? So imagine trying to do that for every single word in your language. A monumental achievement, I am sure you agree. But one thing about official dictionaries is that the definitions are a bit bland, a bit dry and uninspired, and with this in mind I will be starting a new regular section of my blog where I give my definitions for well known words. So Welcome to Buttercup's Delightful Dictionary! Here are the first entries

Cacti – crappy neckwear

Mango – rather impolite way to ask a human male to leave

Carpet - domestic animal belonging to an automobile

Boomerang – what to say to scare a dessert

Do you have any ideas, dear readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment